If you’ve never had parsnips, you don’t know what you’re missing! I hadn’t tried them until I was an adult and now I love cooking with them. They make a great, healthy substitute for mashed potatoes. For added texture, you could make a fifty-fifty blend of parsnips and potatoes.
Parmesan Mashed Parsnips
- large pot
- Potato masher or hand mixer
- 2 lbs parsnips peeled, cut into chunks
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Add parsnips to a large pot and cover with water, adding a few pinches of salt to the water. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil until parsnips are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return parsnips to pot.
- Add the butter, heavy cream, garlic powder, salt, and Parmesan to the pot. Use a potato masher or a hand mixer to mash the parsnips to the desired consistency. For super smooth parsnips, throw them into a blender.