This pasta makes a nice festive side dish with the added appeal of fresh tomatoes, asparagus, and basil for a pop of color. Not to mention that fresh basil smells heavenly! Thankfully, this one is easy on the budget too at less than one dollar per serving. You could easily make it into an entrée by adding in some cooked chicken or shrimp.
Orzo with Tomatoes and Asparagus
- Large skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus chopped into 1”-2” pieces
- 16 oz orzo cooked
- Parmesan grated, optional
- Add olive oil to skillet and heat over medium.
- Add garlic and tomatoes to skillet and saute. When the tomatoes soften, lightly press on them with a fork to squash them a bit.
- Add chicken broth, salt, and basil. Stir and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add asparagus and simmer until tender, approximately 5 more minutes.
- Add orzo and stir to combine. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan if desired.